Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Welcome to Stir-fried Tango

Hello everyone and welcome to the Stir-fried Tango. Now I know for you native English speakers that “Tango” is a dance, but it is not here. This “Tango” references the Romaji Spelling of the Japanese word “単語 (たんご)” which means “words.” I’m Richard, and this is my story.

Since I started out with an awkward explanation to some random Japanese word, I should probably explain why. I’m currently learning Japanese – and the struggle is real. Learning Japanese, for me, has definitely been one of the hardest pursuits of my life; and I often find myself mixing up words in both English and Japanese. So, sooo mixed up. What better name for my blog than “mixed up words” thus the Stir-fried Tango was born. On this blog there will be many topics including, but not limited to: traveling, Japan, life, photography, studying abroad, and whatever else I find interesting. I have no clue how this will turn out, but I look forward to having this journey with you. Now enough with that, as my first post you probably want to know “who is this mixed-up-word-speaking guy?”

As I stated above my name is Richard and I am currently participating in a one year study abroad program in Japan at International Christian University (ICU). Sadly, I will be returning to the US sometime in July of 2016. Before studying abroad and struggling with Japanese in Japan, I was struggling for about 2 years with Japanese in the US, so after a discouraging two years it was time for immersion learning. I had spent those two years planning and preparing for the trip to Japan, but even with all of my research I was not fully prepared. I knew one of the things I wanted to do was blog about the things that others may want to know before traveling to other countries or places.
One of the hurdles that I was challenged with was figuring out how to pay for this trip to Japan. This was absolutely one of the biggest fears I had about trying to study abroad because even with my wife and I both working full time it was hard to pay for life as a full time student. Sometimes we were so excited for a new semester to start because student loans would cover gas for the next few months. I will definitely be talking about how to survive as a poor college student in this blog. Now I won’t tell you to “not worry there is a way to fix all problems,” but I will give tips that will help.
Something fun I will include are Japanese segments in my posts. As I am working toward my skill in Japanese, I want to practice share and encourage others learning languages, especially those who may find it as difficult as I have, to keep going. Don’t give up because it is hard. The reward is well worth it. Now for those who do not speak Japanese, don’t freak out! Most of what I will say will probably be something I already just posted in English. This just allows me to practice something I enjoy doing.

Also I love taking photos. I’ve actually been wanting that to be my direction in life, although skill wise I don’t feel prepared. For me it is an art and an inspiring way to tell a story. So, while I write these posts I will also try to include some of the photos I take, whether they are beautiful or not, the story I want to tell with them will be. I am also interested in making videos, but I have not decided if I will add any or not. Hopefully as we journey together, we will learn more about the places around us and grow to see the world in all of its beauty.

Finally, there is something I feel is very important. This blog will grow. A lot of people don’t like change, but people do it all the time, and because of that it should be clear that even I will fall victim to it. I will have thoughts and opinions that change or grow and later it is possible I won’t feel the same way at all. Because of this, what I blog about will begin to vary as I gain experience. While writing I may start with a few topics, but in the future I would love to have a great many things that I can talk about and to share it all with you.

Thank you for reading this post. I look forward to sharing, learning, and growing more with you in the future. Please feel free to comment and request future topics, and I hope to hear from you soon, but most of all thank you for being a part of my Stir-fried Tango.