Friday, February 3, 2017

A Broad Side - Top 10 Preparations part 2

So last time we talked about what you needed to do to prepare for studying abroad. So far I said you should get your passport, plan what school you need to go to, start saving, ensure you pre-order things you want to bring, and set-up ways to communicate back home. Now we will start covering the last five things I think you should do to prepare for studying abroad.

Number 6
Okay now if you are a guy please don’t run away. The next thing on my list is… clothing. Still there? Okay the hard part for you guys is over. Now it is the girls I'll have to not scare off. Your wardrobe is going to be really small. You are going to want to set up a few outfits that can be mixed and matched to create several more outfits. Now before you start freaking out, it gets worse. Okay well actually just worse for the girls, you guys will be totally fine. If you have really bright and obvious colors people will notice when you start wearing the same thing again a lot sooner. Also you may want to limit the shoes you bring to 2. also depending on the country you may want easy to put on and take off shoes. I know in Japan I was always taking off my shoes, and not just at houses but other places too. Church, bath houses, etc. so make sure they come on and off easily or else you may go mad. For those wanting to absolutely have that larger wardrobe you have two choices. You will need to either but the clothes in country and leave them before you come back, or pay a lot of money to ship them or have extra luggage. Suit cases cannot go over 50lbs/23kg without adding an additional charge, and the suitcase's weight is included in this. Just know it adds up quick.

Shichiban
Our list is starting to get long, so here is your first easy item. Complete everything early. Sounds easy, but I bet many of you will struggle with this one. I know I did. It may sound obvious, but the main reason is that there will be several opportunities that will show up that you did not know about. You may find out later and it may change how you need to plan your trip, or if you have to spend money on something you were not expecting. Some of these opportunities may rely on you already having more things prepared. So when you can knock out tasks, paperwork, and preparation details early. Some examples of things that I needed to be pre-prepared for included; having passports for scholarships, having money for the other country's national insurance, signing up for the international student identification card (ISIC - https://www.isic.org/) having a ton of passport photoes (not just for passports surprisingly), international driver's licence (must be done in home country, and cannot be done in other country) and many more things. There will be a lot of things like this so take care of them before you get overwhelmed by the more that will come.

8
So months have gone by and you have worked out almost everything. Now you are working hard at just keeping the anxiety away before the trip. Since by now you have gotten most of your paperwork prepared, maybe you are even close enough that you have your visa too. You should make copies of everything. How you keep these is up to you; concealed flash drive, cloud storage, hidden folder. Any way you do it is fine, but you need backup copies of all of your important documents. Depending on if you have medical conditions this may include copies of these files as well. If anything happens to you there may be a need to have these, so you should be prepared by ensuring you make copies. Before I went to Japan, tragedy almost struck. A lost wallet containing a passport and all of the cash (Japanese yen)  I had to start the trip was almost never seen again. Everything turned out alright, but it can happen and if it does you need to have a way to fix it. Also back on the medical documents, turns out I needed some while I was there. Fortunately I'm like file crazy and had it, but I did not even think I was going to need it and just had it in case of emergency… I am so happy that I did.

Crunch time. It's the night before your plane leaves (and it leaves early in the morning) You've collected everything you think you will need and are now test loading it into your luggage at 10:00pm and you find out that it is too heavy and doesn’t even all fit in the two suitcases you have. This was me before I left. I ended up staying up somewhere between 2-4 am trying to get everything packed in time for my flight at 9am. Needless to say I slept well on the flight (actually I didn't) Trying to get all of that ready was crazy though, and for all of my preparedness I did not realize figuring out what to leave behind was going to be so hard. All of this to say DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! Try packing your suitcase several times before hand. Remember that you may get new things you want to bring, and you may not need everything you have. If you are leaving in winter then sure wear some winter gear (on your body and on the plane as it saves space) but if not, even if it is fall don't try and bring that. If you really need it later buy it on amazon. They are almost everywhere and can sometimes surprise you where they can deliver. If you love something a whole lot do not bring it. Stuff happens, things break, get lost, and when you have gathered more things in that country that you absolutely want to bring back something else will not come back. So when you do these trial packings of your suitcases make sure to leave space as well. Or else you may end up like me before I came home from Japan, trying to decide if I should leave the amazing tea set I got there or the PS3 I brought with me. I kept both don't worry. I just got rid of all my clothes, most of which I liked.

Number 10
The final thing you should do to prepare is to remember you are going to a new country. There are going to be different rules, laws, people, ways of thinking and people will perceive things differently.  You may have differences of opinion and things may be difficult because others have a different background from you. This will happen, and there is no helping it. Take the time to learn. Learn how they think, and realize that the laws that govern you have shaped you in some ways to be who you are while theirs have done the same to them. Remember you are also a representative of your home country and college. When you do things, wherever you go people will use you to judge how they think and perceive where you are from. Also your actions can have larger ramifications than you think. Acting up could easily make it so your college is no longer able to study abroad there. It sounds like it may be a bit extreme based off of your actions alone, but this has happened before so just remember who you represent. On both of these points I have many examples, but there are far too many to isolate and share, besides that is part of the experience you are leaving to enjoy anyways. I can't teach it.


Well this concludes my top ten ways to prepare for study abroad. If you liked it please subscribe. If not then let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you have things you think are more important for preparing for study abroad? Tell me what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment