Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Broad Side - Top 10 Preparations part 1

So what do you need to before you study abroad?
Studying abroad can be difficult because you are typically planning a trip where you leave your family and everyone you know along with most of your possessions behind… well unless something terribly tragic happened to you and you have neither family nor possessions…

Before trying to take on this long and dangerous venture you should at least be able to prepare for it so you survival chances can go up. Thus here is my list of things you need to do to prepare for feeling the wrath of the league… no! stupid copyright. the list of things you need to do to prepare for studying abroad.

Numba wan
You're at school and this person comes to your class and tells you about thing interesting experience that comes with going to another country… somehow they intrigue you and you want to go. You think about it and decide you might do it a year from now. So that means you don't have to worry about preparing now doesn't it? それは違うんです。 Although you may think you don't have to do anything you actually need to start… NOW. Many of the documents required to go abroad can take months to complete and most will need to be completed months before you even study abroad, or even before you are considered for study abroad. *deep breath* So the first on my list of things to do to prepare for study abroad is get your passport. Passports at the very fastest take 2-6 weeks to get, BUT this service costs a lot more. In fact unless there is an emergency and you have a good reason to apply for a passport late, the very fastest is 6 weeks, and that is still the expediated time frame (their website say less than 6 weeks but that’s all)  cheapest expediting fees are like $60 so I wouldn’t recommend it. If you get it the routine way they say it takes more than 6 weeks. To be totally honest mine got to me faster than this, but the real reason I stress the importance of it is because some study abroad programs wont even consider you if you do not have this already, and all of them require you get it before are 100% cleared to come (plus you need it to get your visa)

Noomber twoo
Learn about the different programs your school has and what is required to go to them. And actually research it! Just hearing from someone else "oh you should go here" sounds great and convinces many people they should go to wherever that is but please, Puleeze do not do this. You need to figure out what you want out of this experience and then select the location that best suits your needs. Want to not push your graduation back? Find a school that has courses you need for graduation. Care about understanding what you are learning? Find a school that has more classes in your native tongue (I would assume English if you are understanding all of the linguistic jokes I's be makin', it's not like you are a linguist right. Right?) want to just have fun and party all the time? Go to UTK where they butt chug (shame you shouldn't bring that up. Plus that isn't study abroad) Regardless you need to research about the school. If the thought of researching for study abroad sounds like it is a lot of work, then don't, but when the place you picked causes you problems don't come crying to me. No really. I do not want to deal with a teary eyed you… oh the salty messiness. Ugh. But honestly, most schools give credits… is that right? Credits? Credit? I think it's usually 1. okay most schools give a credit for studying abroad anyway, so at least put a credit's (that sounds plural but it is not) worth of work in to preparing for it.

三番目
So now you have your passport to pass the ports and programed your program in your plans, and are about ready to hit this guy making corny jokes. Now what do you do? There are still like 10 months before this whole study abroad thing anyways. Well aside from the fact that many programs have really early sign-ups so you should already be applying to the one you want, you also are starting to notice that they want you to have this thing called money… and they want you to have a lot of it. Typically they want you to have enough to cover your living expenses for the whole year. Because everyone has that laying around. Except for that person earlier who has no family nor possessions, they have nothing. If you happen to be like them and have no money lying around then I'm sorry but you are screwed… I hope you really didn’t believe me. In all actuality there are several ways to get money for studying abroad. Many are very helpful and useful, but you can't rely on all of them to be in your bank account by the time your program requires it. If there is any way to start saving now you should do it. Now there are several ways to help with the money, but I'll talk about them in another post. Just know that even the projected amounts are just living expenses and you will almost undoubtable need more.

Number 4
For those now on a limited budget (good for you saving for this trip) you may want to start planning the things you will need to buy before you go. This is a scary step and often you find you did it wrong if you wait until the last second to do it. This one is also hard enough that I will actually make another post about "what to sneak in" but just know that you should try and get things that you need to order, sooner rather than later. Like that really nice camera lens so I could record myself talking about Japan. Only took 4 weeks to get to me. So glad I didn't wait until a week before leaving to try and get that one, otherwise I would be typing all of these posts…

#5
Ensure you have amenities to communicate with family, and try to have a cost effective way to do so. I would say the basic thing to do is make sure you have internet where you are going. If you are staying in dorms at the school you are studying abroad at then having internet is probably a given, but how do you contact your family. If you want to video call your family there are several free services you can use such as skype. Phone services are a little different. If you want to just bring your own phone from home to a different country then you may be a little surprised to find they have big up-charges for international calls. And not small up-charges either. For me I found the cheapest way for me to phone family was to use google voice, a free service, to make calls to my family. Before I left the country I set up a permanent phone number attached to my Gmail account which I can make calls from straight from Gmail. Then just for international calls I added $10 to my account so that I could make international calls. Turns out that it wasn't necessary. Calls to my family did not count as international because I set up a phone number that was local for them, the only calls that cost me anything were the ones to people in Japan. By the way, after a year in Japan I still have more than $7 left from that initial $10. there are many other ways to do things just like this so go out and research them. You may want to buy a watch that can have world time separate though so you don’t call home at 2:00 in the morning though.


Well this post has gotten a bit long. Want to see the rest of my top ten? Subscribe! also feel free to leave a comment down below. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment